- Millions of years ago, sharks, whales, crocodiles and other creatures inhabited the waters and shores of this area.
- Most of these animals are now extinct, others are just no longer found here.
- To the sharp-eyed visitor, sharks teeth and other Miocene fossils may be found along the park's shoreline
Flag Ponds Nature Park is also part of Maryland's history.
- From the early 1900's until 1955, three shanties housed fishermen during the main fishing season who worked a major "pound net" fishery supplying croaker, trout and herring to markets as far away as Baltimore.
- Known as "Buoy Hotel", the last shanty was destroyed in 2012 in a fire.