History of the Queen Anne's County 4-H Park
As recorded in the 1941 Extension Office's yearly report, "plans by Older 4-H Youth have been made to secure a permanent 4-H site to hold agricultural events." It is further recorded in 1942 that George M. Moffett of Blakefield Farms donated to 4-H Clubs of Queen Anne's County a tract of land of approximately 28.26 acres located on the Centreville to Queenstown highway about 3 miles from Centreville. The development will be under the guidance of a board of 5 to 7 county leaders elected by members of the county.
Work began on the tract of land on April 11, 1942 with 97 volunteers working all day. In July 1942, work continued for six full days with an average of 18 volunteers working each day at the Park site. The Maryland State Fair Board toured and made some suggestions. Queen Anne's County allotment from the Maryland State Fair board was $400 that year.
On August 15th, 1942 , the Queen Anne's County 4-H Club Fair took place. There were 900 people in attendance at the day long Fair. Dr. Symons dedicated the Queen Anne's County 4-H Park on that day. Mrs. Algeron Carter was chairman of the Park. They had collected $670 in donations for Park improvements. At that time there was a well, graveled roads, 5 picnic tables, 40 hog pens, two toilets, and a show ring.
In November of 1942 the deed of this tract of land to become the Queen Anne's County 4-H Park was completed. The deed read "for the use only for agricultural activities with 4-H Club work preference".